How to develop a Growth Mindset and turn it into growth with Habits of Mind and Practice.
A Growth Mindset is the understanding that you can grow your talents, abilities and intelligence. Learning Agility gives you the capacity to achieve that growth!
An Agile Learner understands that their Growth Mindset is simply an invitation to grow. To translate their Mindset into growth and increase their abilities, they develop powerful Habits of Mind and engage in Virtuous Practice.
This workshop gives you the practical tools you need to develop Agile Learners in your classroom.
As Professor Carol Dweck states, “A Growth Mindset is not a declaration, it’s a journey.” Working with Mindsets in your classroom involves helping students move along the Mindset Continuum, from low growth to high growth.
In this workshop, you’ll learn how to ensure your students develop a more growth-oriented Mindset by consistently infusing positive Mindset Movers into your day-to-day practice.
- Understand the Mindset Continuum
- Create powerful Mindset Movers
- Combat social media myths about Mindsets
The Learning Pit 2.0
The Learning Pit is a powerful metaphor. It gives students and teachers a common language that allows them to understand and discuss the learning process.
In this workshop, you’ll discover how James Anderson has completely updated this analogy to create the Learning Pit 2.0. Drawing on recent work on Peak Performance by cognitive psychologist Professor K. Anders Ericsson, as well as the foundational work on Mindsets by Professor Dweck and the enduring contribution of the Habits of Mind by Professor Art Costa and Dr Bena Kallick, James reveals powerful new insights into the learning process. He also gives you practical tools that you can apply in your classroom.
- Develop a powerful language for the learning process
- Understand challenges versus learning challenges
- Recognise Comfort, Performance and Learning Zones
- Know how challenges create a Growth or Fixed Mindset
- Create better learners, not simply students who learn more
- Understand why we need to take a “backpack” into the Learning Pit
- How the Learning Pit 2.0 helps us identify Effective Effort
Habits of Mind
Costa and Kallick defined the 16 intelligent behaviours, known as the Habits of Mind, that peak performers skilfully and mindfully employ. In this workshop, you’ll discover how to infuse the growth and development of these behaviours into your classroom practice so your students become more efficacious learners.
After more than 15 years working closely with Costa and Kallick, as well as with schools around the world, James Anderson will share the most critical insights into the Habits of Mind. This crucial knowledge will ensure your work with the Habits of Mind is practical, powerful and sustainable.
- Learn how to shift from “teaching” to developing powerful Habits of Mind
- Discover practical strategies for classroom learning
- Understand how the Habits of Mind connect with Mindset and practice
- Explore school-wide approaches for Habits of Mind
Pablo Picasso said that action is the foundational key to all success. A Growth Mindset invites your students to take this action. This essential workshop will guide you through the processes and behaviours that not only develop a Growth Mindset, but define the actions required for your students to achieve growth.
- May 2, 2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm