Where Mindsets, Habits of Mind and Practice Collide
About Learning Agility – An Overview
Growth Mindsets (Dweck) are the latest buzz word in education. However, in the excitement many educators have missed the critical point that a Growth Mindset is not growth. It is just the invitation to growth, an understanding that growth is possible.
A Growth Mindset is foundational to growth, but it is not enough. Beliefs don’t lead to improved student performances – actions do!
In this powerful 2 Day workshop, certified Growth Mindset trainer James Anderson will show you how to combine Dweck’s Growth Mindsets, with the Costa and Kallick’s Habits of Mind, a Ericsson’s work on Acquisition of Excellence to develop Learning Agility.
Learning Agility captures the essence of the 21st Century Learner. It is defined at the ability and willingness to learn from experience, and subsequently apply that learning to perform successfully under new or first time conditions (Lombardo and Eichinger, 2000).
By combining a Growth Mindset with the behaviours of characteristically successful people, the Habits of Mind (Costa and Kallick), James Anderson will show you how to develop Learning Power.
Combining a Growth Mindset with powerful learning process that have been demonstrated to lead to the acquisition of excellence in a wide range of fields (Ericsson) James will show you how to build student potential.
Finally, you’ll discover why the popular focus on student effort has been misinterpreted. By looking deeply at how we apply the Habits of Mind to the process of learning, we’ll unpack not effort, but efficacy – effort that has the effect of improved performance.
Growth Mindsets (Dweck)
- Myths and Misunderstandings Dispelled.
- The Mindset Continuum
- Mindset Movers and Mindset Makers (practical strategies for developing a more growth oriented Mindset)
- Building Potential & Brain Plasticity.
- Feedback and assessment for Growth Mindsets.
Habits of Mind (Costa and Kallick)
- Understanding Dimensions of Growth
- Classroom strategies for developing Habits of Mind
- Building Learning Power
- Sustaining HOM across the school
Acquisition of Excellence and Virtuous Practice (Ericsson)
- 5 Truths about Talent
- Virtuous Practice
Learning Agility (Lombardo and Eichinger)
- Effective Effort
- Practical understanding of how to develop a more growth oriented mindset in students.
- Practical strategies for developing powerful Habits of Mind in your classroom
- Feedback, assessment and reporting strategies for reinforcing Growth Mindsets and Habits of Mind.
- Tools and techniques for addressing learning agility in your classroom.
Practical sessions will include:
- A group activity for participants to unpack fixed and growth student responses
- Numerous small group discussion activities
- Expert Jig Saw Activity looking at the application of Effective Effort (including praise)
- Final Word Protocol examining insights and and common misunderstandings about Mindsets
- Collaborative activity to generate growth mindset feedback for students
- Collaborative activity exploring the Growth Mindset Continuum
- Team / small group opportunities to explore specific Mindset Movers for classroom application and more…
- November 10, 2017
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- November 11, 2017
9:00 am - 4:00 pm